Friday, February 24, 2012

Error "Connection Could not be made to the report server" when attempting deployment

I'm working through the SQL2005 Reporting Services Tutorial. When I try to deploy, I get the error "Connection could not be made to the report server." It appears that I do not have permissions to get to localhost/reportserver (I get a permissions error when just trying to get there directly from "run"). In another forum I saw several people having the same issue. One contributor said that the problem was solved for him by uninstalling SQL2005 and reinstalling using the local system account rather than a windows domain account. I tried that, but am getting the same error. Anyone know how to fix this?

If the error you get from the RS URL is access denied, you may need to get permissions to the report server.

Here's where you can read more on RS security. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/rswork/htm/rms_security_v1_3hia.asp

If the error is coming from ASP.NET, there may be a configuration issue with your RS server.

Hope that helps

Tudor Trufinescu

|||

Like you (David) I am having a similar problem I have read through the various posts and any help would grateful

My error message is :-

A connection could not be made to the report server http://localhost/reportserver$sqlexpress. (Microsoft Report Designer)

===================================

The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine (Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer)

I am running XP Home with

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Servicesand

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Toolkit

I am trying to work through Deploying the AdventureWorks Sample Reports found within the Sample Directory installed with SQL Express. I’m sure I’ve followed the clear guide lines given. I’m actually trying this because another Microsoft tutorial resulted in the same problem.

My initial thought was that the server wasn’t running I tried this step below also found on the Sample Reports instructions:-

Type the Report Manager URL in the address bar of a Web browser. By default, the URL is http://<webservername>/reports. If you are using SQL Server Express, the default URL is http://localhost/reports$SQLExpress.

This didn’t work, I note the URL is different to one generating the error message.What should I expect if this is my first deployment?

Also is it possible to identify if the server is running using Services from Administrative Tools (Control Panel)?

|||

I must apologise after much digging around I found this tiny caveat in the system requirements required to run SQL Server Express with Advanced Services on XP Home

1Reporting Services, which is installed as part of SQL Server Express with Advanced Services, will not install on operating systems that do not include Internet Information Services (IIS).

See http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/d/1/bd1e0745-0e65-43a5-ac6a-f6173f58d80e/RequirementsSQLEXP2005Advanced.htm

I guess this is my problem. I wrongly assumed that Microsoft had taken a similar approach to this VERY VERY annoying IIS problem for XP Home users as they had done with their Visual Web Developer Express editions.

It seems the report writer software works as long as you don’t deploy, so I can at least get an idea on how to use it.

Thanks again and Ihope David has his problem fixed soon

|||

I Guys, Im looking for a bit of help on this matter myself we have installed Sharepoint 2007 and SQL 2005 on a 64 bit Windows 2003 server and im trying to deploy a reporting service site each time i do i get

TITLE: Microsoft Report Designer

A connection could not be made to the report server http://srv1-tcrb/ReportServer.


ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with the error message:
--
<html><head><title>Error</title></head><body>%1 is not a valid Win32 application.
</body></html>
--. (Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer)

Its not the sites themselves i have deployed them on another server all is ok.

I have tried to replicated the setup of the working server on this one but still the same

Bit more info when i try and connect to or run repors or report server from iis or directly i get HTTP500 internal server error.

any help will be appreciated.

|||

I faced the same problem...

I tried many funny things... initially, I got it to work a bit and not entirely.

You can check out my documented troubleshooting events here.

But the conclusion is like what you have mentioned.

Eventually, the real solution is to reinstall SQL Server 2005 Express with Advance Features (reporting services) using default settings (local system account and also for Report Server) and then it worked! But actually I reinstalled two times.

But it could be possible that during previous installations, certain settings were skipped by the installer and caused the misbehaviour.

|||

Thislink may help u ?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/rsdepgd.mspx

Side-side by Installation SPS and SSRS

|||At the risk of sounding and appearing stupid try using the url in the format http://servername/reportserver2005. Adding the 2005 at the end did the trick for me.|||

That is a link for Sql Reporting from 2000. I have the problem for 2005.

I have already checked

Deploying Reporting server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159868.aspx

Troubleshooting Reporting Server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159135.aspx
But I can not seems to find a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment