Sunday, February 19, 2012

Error - could not initialize the Publisher

Hi,
I was synchronizing two SQL Server 2k (SP3) using merge replication for the last 4 months. There was an error in one partiucular table at the publisher because of which synchronization had stopped for around 14-18 hours between these two servers. I fixed
this table using the DBCC checktable with the REPAIR_DATA_LOSS option. No data as such was lost though.
Now when I sychronize the servers I get the following error - "The merge process could not initialize the Publisher 'ECOSYSTEM:MLEcosystem'."
I am attaching the contents of the log file below -
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
I have tried changing the merge agent profile's Query Timeout, Login Timeout parameter and quite a few parameters to solve this problem as these two servers synchronize over the Internet.
The MSmerge_genhistory at the subscriber has 7000 rows and the one at the publisher has around 8000 rows.
Can someone please advise as to how to synchronize these servers?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Manish
which table did you repair? If it is one of the replication system tables
you will have probably have to drop your subscription and rebuild it.
I'd try a re-initialization first.
"Manish Buttan" <manish@.ccipl.com> wrote in message
news:962865EC-16EE-457C-9353-26E105834430@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I was synchronizing two SQL Server 2k (SP3) using merge replication for
the last 4 months. There was an error in one partiucular table at the
publisher because of which synchronization had stopped for around 14-18
hours between these two servers. I fixed this table using the DBCC
checktable with the REPAIR_DATA_LOSS option. No data as such was lost
though.
> Now when I sychronize the servers I get the following error - "The merge
process could not initialize the Publisher 'ECOSYSTEM:MLEcosystem'."
> I am attaching the contents of the log file below -
>
__________________________________________________ __________________________
_____________
>
>
__________________________________________________ __________________________
_____________
>
> I have tried changing the merge agent profile's Query Timeout, Login
Timeout parameter and quite a few parameters to solve this problem as these
two servers synchronize over the Internet.
> The MSmerge_genhistory at the subscriber has 7000 rows and the one at the
publisher has around 8000 rows.
> Can someone please advise as to how to synchronize these servers?
> Thank you in advance.
> Regards,
> Manish
>
>
>
|||Hi Paul, Yuan & Hillary,
I just wanted to thank you all for helping me fix this problem.
It was more of a bandwidth problem I guess. Once all the employees in my company left for the day, I tried to sync the servers, it synchronized without any problem.
This problem occured as the synchronization didn't happen for nearly 18 hours and there was too much data to synchronize at once.
How do I make sure that this problem does not happen again?
Thank you all again!
Regards,
Manish Buttan
|||Manish,
To be honest based on the error message I'm still not sure that this is the problem, but if it is you could try limiting the number of concurrent merge processes or schedule synchronization of the merge agents so as not to overlap (I'm assuming you have m
ultiple subscribers).
HTH,
Paul Ibison
|||Hi Paul,
Thank you once again!
I have only one subscriber. So I dont think it can be because of multiple merge agents running at the same time.
Also, it would really help if you can point me to some URL or if you yourself can give me some tips to configure the merge agent for an unreliable/slow connection.
Thank you.
Regards,
Manish
|||Manish,
have a look at the properties of the merge agent profile. In particular the
QueryTimeout needs maximising. You can use the Slow Link Profile as a model
then increase this parameter.
Profile parameters:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...lmerg_4y2h.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...plmon_5vqd.asp
Regards,
Paul Ibison
|||Hi Manish,
I also include the followiing articles for your reference.
315521 INF: How to Troubleshoot SQL Server Merge Replication Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315521
315642 INF: Information that PSS needs to troubleshoot SQL Server
replication
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315642
Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance on this
issue.
Regards,
Michael Shao
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
|||Hi Yuan/Paul,
Thank you for all the help you have provided.
Regards,
Manish

No comments:

Post a Comment