Monday, March 26, 2012

error 1722 starting sqlserveragent

(this is a repost, the original post was mistakenly posted to the odbc
group)
Hello all,
I have a nightly job which runs under the SQLServerAgent service on my
SQLServer2000 database. Someone mentioned that the jobs did not run
last night, so I logged in to the server to see why, and I noticed that
the SQLServerAgent service was not running, which seemed like something
that would prevent jobs under it from being executed.
However, when I try to right-click/Start the SQL Server Agent i get the
following error:
An error 1722 - (The RPC server is unavailable) occurred while
performing this service operation on the SQLServerAgent service.
But that's all it says. I've looked in the SQL Server Agent logs, as
well as the Windows Event View application logs, and no further
information is provided in either location.
Can anyone tell me what kinds of things might cause this error? I'm not
even sure where to begin looking.
Thanks
JasonMy guess (only a guess, though) is that you aren't sitting on the SQL Server
machine doing this. So
you are using EM remotely to start the service and something goes bad in the
remote communications
to start the service. First step I'd try is to login locally on the machine
(possibly using Remote
Desktop) and start the service using the Services Applet.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/
"jason" <iaesun@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1132076344.251481.299800@.g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> (this is a repost, the original post was mistakenly posted to the odbc
> group)
> Hello all,
> I have a nightly job which runs under the SQLServerAgent service on my
> SQLServer2000 database. Someone mentioned that the jobs did not run
> last night, so I logged in to the server to see why, and I noticed that
> the SQLServerAgent service was not running, which seemed like something
> that would prevent jobs under it from being executed.
> However, when I try to right-click/Start the SQL Server Agent i get the
> following error:
> An error 1722 - (The RPC server is unavailable) occurred while
> performing this service operation on the SQLServerAgent service.
> But that's all it says. I've looked in the SQL Server Agent logs, as
> well as the Windows Event View application logs, and no further
> information is provided in either location.
> Can anyone tell me what kinds of things might cause this error? I'm not
> even sure where to begin looking.
> Thanks
> Jason
>|||that was indeed the problem. thanks a lot Tibor
jason

No comments:

Post a Comment