Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Error 1813 while attaching database

I ran out of space, detacted the .mdf and deleted
the .ldf, as I have done in the past. However, when I try
to attach the database I get "Error 1813: Could not open
the new database ... Device activation error. The
physical file name {OLD_LDF_FILE_NAME} may be incorrect."
In the past, it has created a new .ldf file. How can I
get the date out of the mdf? Attach, export, import?Never never never do this, you have just found out why. Grab your backup and do restore, quite
simply. If you don't have a backup, open a case with MS support and they *might* be able to help
you.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"Matt Insko" <minsko@.inovie.com> wrote in message news:1afa01c39f3e$6c148a20$3101280a@.phx.gbl...
> I ran out of space, detacted the .mdf and deleted
> the .ldf, as I have done in the past. However, when I try
> to attach the database I get "Error 1813: Could not open
> the new database ... Device activation error. The
> physical file name {OLD_LDF_FILE_NAME} may be incorrect."
> In the past, it has created a new .ldf file. How can I
> get the date out of the mdf? Attach, export, import?|||I've had that problem in the past, and it was because I had truncated
the log at some point, and never done a full backup since. Doing so
meant I could not re-attach the database but had to restore from a
backup.
Since you're out of space, is there any chance you tried to truncate the
log first?
Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment