Thursday, March 29, 2012

Error 18456 State 6

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a remote SQL server via Management Studio. I am using the windows credentials I use to log into the computer but when I enter the same domain\username and password I get error 18456. I check the logs and see it is a state 6 error. After checking http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx I see that means

Attempt to use a Windows login name with SQL Authentication

Is it possible for me to access a SQL server remotely?

Thanks

From your description, I would assume that you chose “SQL Server Authentication” and provided a user name that was a Windows user name, correct? “SQL Server Authentication” is used only for principals whose information is completely under the control of the SQL Server instance (i.e. the SID, login and password are only valid to SQL Server).

When using Windows authentication the server will use the Windows token from your client program (in this case Management Studio) to authenticate the connection, without the need to type any login or password.

When you connect to SQL Server using Management Studio, make sure you choose the option “Windows Authentication” for the “Authentication” value, the user name and password fields should be grayed out.

I hope this helps, but let us know if you still have any questions.

-Raul Garcia

SDE/T

SQL Server Engine

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment